At the McDaniel house, we are getting REALLY excited for the holidays. Not only do we get to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas, we have birthdays and anniversaries sprinkled in as well. As Brad and I prepare for the temple, I am super emotional about the smallest things. I try to hold it in, but sometimes I just cant.This month in primary we have been learning about serving others. This week, the primary president stood up and said that she has really been trying to teach her daughter, who is around the same age as Bostyn about serving and giving. She said a quote that really hit me, and made me emotional........ I decided Bostyn could learn from this as well.
"There's always room on Santa's list when you think of others first".
I know that I especially get wrapped up in my kids, and giving to them and sometimes let the Christmas spirit pass me by. I hope this year things will be a little different.
This morning I talked to Bostyn about giving a Christmas to other children who might not get presents. She said that Santa would take care of them, and we shouldnt worry. But, after a little convincing she came up with a good idea, or so she thought...... she is open to giving some of her old toys to other children. I guess we still have some work to do.......
11 comments:
It is definitely a place to start. If she can help wrap the presents and go with you to drop them off,she might begin to understand how good it feels to give. She's a sweet girl - she'll get it. I need to nurture that in Brendan too, I think.
Ohhhh....what a cute post! I love it when you post stuff like this! I can see so much spiritual growth in you Danica! I can't wait to witness the day that you and Brad get married in the temple and have your family sealed to you. It really is an exciting time! You are a super choice daughter of God (I hope you know that!). I admire your strengths and look forward to hearing more about the things you learn. Love you so much! Oh and...good luck with Bostyn! ha! I don't think she'd be in to giving up new toys (wink-wink)!
I know what you mean about the holidays just consuming you! Sam is all about more, bigger, newer...we'll work on that too, because I am a little that way too! :)
Isn't it scary that it's all up to us how we raise our little ones? great thoughts, same feeling goes in our house this year. love you! xoxo
It IS such a fine line between teaching children to serve and help out of the kindness of their hearts, and feeling like they HAVE too.
I pray I too can teach Braden about seeing the need and being that vessel.
And small world. I saw on your side bar Alex Muir. I went to High School with him. Go figure.
Hi Danica! I can't find your address... email me or leave it on my blog. I'd love to send you a Christmas card and I'd love to see your cute family!!! kim@runnellsfamily.org
You two are such wonderful parents! Its so easy to allow ourselves to get carried away durring christmas. I will always remember the Christmas my Mom had my best friend and I voulenteer in the childrens ward at the hospital she worked at. Needless to say being the charming teenagers we were at the time we were not enthusiastic about the idea. As soon as we arrived that changed. I remember feeling so proud being there, and very proud telling my friends at school what we had done. It was a unique Christmas that always stands out as one of my favorites. Bostyn is such a doll she will love the feeling of giving as soon as she experiances it...Love you guys Alisa, Fred and Hank
thanks for your sweet concern for us. i am sorry u got lost with the boutique- it was tricky to find, but thanks for trying. i'd love to hear more about brads dad. you should do a post about it so we can all learn something from it. all my love to you and yours!! xoxo
Are you ever going to update your blog?,....seriously?!!!? =0)
What the heck happened to you updating this blog of yours,....sheesh! Lucky I still love ya!
Post a Comment